Sunday, December 19, 2010

Freelander Wiper Motor Bodge

I'd recently cleaned a load of snow off the screen on my girlfriend's Freelander, and after this the wipers stopped working. I changed the fuse but it kept blowing. I disconnected the motor and this stopped the fuses blowing. The problem therefore had to be within the motor unit.

So...I went outside to find this had happened overnight...!


Once cleaned off, I started taking things apart. Once the scuttle was removed, I could see the motor assembly. At this point I disconnected the plug and tested the circuit - no fuse was blowing which showed the problem was within the motor unit.


I removed the motor assembly and took it to my workshop. I drilled out the rivets and opened the gearbox.


Aha! My previous solder job had melted and repositioned itself under high current load whilst shifting heavy snow.


I got the soldering iron out and put it back where it should be. This is not ideal, but as the car is on its last legs, and I promise not to use the wipers in an aggressive fashion again, it should hopefully suffice.


Put cover back, rivet in place.



Reinstall, put everything back and test. I don't know if the movement comes across in this photo but it all works as it should do now.

No comments: